22 December 2011

Quite simply...Merry Christmas

I woke early this morning and whilst lying in bed trying to fall back asleep and having no luck I thought about you... this blog, and anyone who stops by to check it out. That led to thinking about this post...which led to more not being able to sleep which led to me sneaking out of bed and turning on the laptop and now here I sit...

We are but a couple of days and a handful of hours away from the big day. For me I have been in Christmas mode for what seems like months, and so it is that about this time I feel totally void of any excitement...no worries though, it will return, just not until the last minute.

Here in my little corner of Muskoka, it has been raining...yes raining...ugh. Rain means mild temperatures, which at any other time of the year I would welcome, but I love me a white Christmas, which does not seem to be in the cards this year for us...oh well fingers crossed for some un-forecasted cooler temps to give us just a dusting in time for the big guy!

So I thought I chat a little about Christmas traditions and what my family does that is special to us at this time of year. As I said before my family growing up was not a stickler for tradition, Christmas unfolded in it's own way each year; the tree, the location, the host. The mainstays were always waking super early to see what Santa had placed under our tree and the opening of presents before the sun rose...or at least before breakfast, and the meal with extended family later in the day. Whomever hosted would lay all their gifts out on their beds to show to the rest of the family...It was always exciting when it was our turn.

And then I met my husband and the tradition of Christmas for us changed. He had traditions that he felt very strongly about continuing with our new family. The biggest change my Christmas traditions have undergone is the timing of the opening of the presents...We still wake early to see what Santa placed under the tree, but the rest of the presents are not opened until after dinner...yup after dinner. Now in fairness dinner happens early afternoon (3ish) but the anticipation builds...and therein is the point I suppose. It really is the best of both worlds...the immediate wow of the Santa gifts,and the ability to play with those things all day, but still more to look forward to after the big meal. I'm not gonna lie, it has taken some getting used to and my family still thinks it is crazy but I like the flow of the day, and the little extension of Christmas Day excitement.

What are your Christmas traditions? Have they changed since childhood? How have marriage and children affected how your Christmas plays out?

Wishing each of you the Merriest of Christmases, and the best in the year to come.
From my family to yours Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I am feeling the lack of enthusiasm too!! Hanging out at the mall doesn't help much either...
    I keep hearing that it might snow....I'm just going to act dumb about it and maybe I'll get a surprise!!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours...best wishes for 2012
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also feeling the lack of enthusiasm this year. I'm not sure why, but I made cookies today to try to get into the groove and that helped (peanut butter cookies and red velvet cookies are good at setting the mood!). Our yearly traditions include adding the kids' handprints to our Christmas tree skirt ~ there is a post on it on my blog :) and making cookies of course.

    Santa will also leave a special surprise as he does each year. Two years ago, the family room was filled to the ceiling with balloons! We are awaiting this year's surprise!

    I really enjoy reading your blog! Merry Christmas to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I admit we open a few presents before breakfast and then the majority of them in the afternoon before dinner. Now that I have a child of my own (and another on the way) I'd like to start some of my own traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wanna hear about lack of enthusiasm? I could blink over here and miss the entire thing! No snow, no Christmas lights, no Christmas music on the radio, no Santa in the mall, no Christmas toy commercials....

    Being the only ones not living with in our hometown of Timmins, we've always been the ones who have had to travel for Christmas so no Christmas on our own ever. Christmas Eve has always meant dinner at my parents' house followed by Santa knocking on the door and leaving bags of presents on the stairs outside numerous times while the kids squeal with excitement and he runs before he gets caught.
    Christmas Day has always meant everyone else is celebrating their own family Christmas with their morning Santa gifts and breakfasts while we figure out how to kill time until later in the afternoon for dinner at the in-laws and more Christmas gifts after dinner there.

    It's never been an ideal holiday for us and I've often dreamed of having our own Christmas morning in our pjs, opening our gifts around our own tree while the snow falls outside. This year we're in Dubai so it's our first Christmas of our own but it's just lacking the magic. I guess as long as my guy and I are together, that's all that matters.

    I hope you've had a wonderful holiday and Santa brought you everything you wished for. Happy New Year and here's to a year filled with joy for 2012. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message, I love to hear from you!