28 September 2011

To Market To Market...

It's official...I'm in love...with the St. Jacobs Farmers Market that is!

This past weekend my daughter Caitlin and I had a girlie weekend. We don't very often have the chance to spend time just the two us anymore, so this was a rare treat. I headed to Kitchener where she lives and goes to school. Now that she is living in a proper apartment (i.e. no more student digs) with a spare room, I was able to spend a couple of nights. Upon my arrival I was greated with the most wonderful aroma of fresh baked apple pie...yes she bakes and she bakes really well...it was so beautiful, I wish I had taken a picture with her lattice top and all, but we cut into it before we thought about it's blog worthiness.

Saturday morning we woke to a beautiful mild sunny day,quite opposite to what they were originally forcasting. We seized the day and decided on the short trip to St. Jacobs to explore thier farmers market...OMG! We were in heaven right from the word go. This market is huge with an outdoor flea market and both outdoor and indoor food vendors of all sorts. The colours, and scents were beautifully overwhelming.
Beautiful fruit and veggies and cabbage the size of your head...
Gorgeous fresh cut flowers perfect for the fall...
And a short break to catch our breath and enjoy an fresh made soft pretzel...

Absolutley divine!

We spent the better part of the morning at the market and probably could have spent more time, but we had lots we wanted to do. So we headed across to the antique mall which happens to be next to a TSC which is a hardware type store. For those who do not know, St. Jacobs is known for it's mennonite community. Seeing them in traditional clothing; ankle length dresses, and bonnets and dark trousers, and brimmed hats for the men was expected, as was seeing them travelling by horse and buggy, what I had not seen before was parking accommodations for the horse and buggy. This was at the hardware store, a fascinating and beautiful scene.

We spent another several hours in the antique mall enjoying the thrill of the hunt...and goofing around a bit as well.
We found a few treasures...I cannot share, as all mine are gifts for others. Needless to say we had a blast.
We left St. Jacobs and headed back into Kitchener for a lovely late lunch at Williams Fresh Cafe.
We then finished our day at Old Navy where they had a buy one get one 75% off...we did not come away empty handed.

Totally pooped, we came home, made pizza ate more pie and watched a couple of movies, the first was Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell but that movie was so depressing and without a point that we had to watch another so we could end our day on the high note it deserved. We decided on Just Go With It with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. It was a light funny movie and was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Caitlin and I don't often get the chance to while away a day like that, and so it is that I chersih them when they happen. It was a wonderful day with a wonderful girl and I cannot wait to do it again!

I know it is now mid week but I hope you enjoyed your weekend past, or have wonderful plans for the weekend ahead!

Happy hump day all!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous day! I've driven by St. Jacobs so many times, but have never actually visited there. Because of your beautiful photos and descriptions it's now on my list of places I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the perfect visit! I love St. Jacobs and used to go often when we lived in Cambridge. The pies at the bakery downtown are soooo good and I love going to Artifacts (the architectural salvage place a few streets over). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love St. Jacobs and the fact that you got to spend that special time with Caitie!

    You might want to think about another tradition that I have had with my mom for the past 25 years... we pick a date in November as our Christmas shopping day. Naturally we have a "snow day" just in case.

    We meet at 9 before the mall opens and we start by having coffee/tea and a treat for energy. The we shop together for a bit - then we part ways and meet up for lunch. And then we shop together for the rest of the afternoon.

    It is so much fun and I really look forward to it every year! Actually, we saw you last year in Winners when we were winding up our shopping day.

    It seems to me that St. Jacobs would be a lovely place to start this type of tradition.

    Food for thought :)

    Your friend,

    Jette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message, I love to hear from you!