4 September 2011

A Bee in My Bonnet...

So in my last post I talked about being aesthetically confused...if you want all the details, you can find them here, but the gist is that I like too many design styles and am having difficulty deciding on a direction for my home. No biggy really, but it has me feeling stopped in my tracks...in a holding pattern if you will, and I don't particularly enjoy that.

Anyhoo, the day after my post I woke with a bee in my bonnet and it has been there ever since. It is a good bee mind you...it has me moving again and making things happen, even if only little things. I realized that I have been waiting for my kids to get a bit older before I make my home what I really want it to be...which is silly really because my girls are good, and don't make a habit of ruining things (at least not on purpose) so keeping nice things at bay is not really a necessity at this point.

So in the last few days I finished the shoe rack for the front hall and put it in place finally managing to contain our ever growing shoe collection (we like shoes...my husband included).

this is an old shelf thingy that was in our barn when we bought the house...
cleaned it up,sanded it down and here it is!
(also please note the baseboard is yet to be completed...
those orange bits; left over bits of the shag carpet that was used as baseboard...yup real purdy)
I moved the leather ottoman up to my bedroom and put the coffee table back in place in the living room, and I moved all the toys including the kids bookshelf out of the living room and into the playroom...I am lucky to have a great playroom so why there were so many toys in the living room is beyond me.


I pulled an old Ikea occasional table out and put it in between my two armchairs (which will at some point be recovered...if anyone has a good diy slipcover guide I'd love to know it), placed a plant and some flowers on it and viola the room is starting to look like grown ups live here.I am still waiting on my new area rug which should be here next week. And then this room will really feel better.

these chairs have been around since my early childhood...
they were originally orange vinyl and were recovered about 25 years ago.

In addition to the above I went through all of the girl's clothes, packed away what is too small, shifted things from Izzy's drawers to Lilah's and figured out what Izzy may need for the fall and winter. I cleaned out the front hall closet as well, and put the spare room back together.  I have been a busy little bee.

I realized that this was all stuff I had intended to do all summer but kept putting off...well this was the last week of summer as it were and so I think that got me going as well. I even cooked a meal or two along the way (which is good since Jake normally does all the cooking around here), and did every stitch of laundry in the house and put it all away.

Slowly it is all coming together...not sure I will ever get to the point in my original inspiration board

...and no longer sure I want to, but so it is that design is an evolution.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend...it is a long one here in Canada! Off to enjoy it with the best family a girl could ask for...and the most patient husband...bless his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message, I love to hear from you!